Skip to main content

What is the function of the blood-testis barrier?


Both the brain and the testes have a blood - organ - barrier. Just as the blood-brain-barrier keeps toxins out of the brain, presumably the blood-testis-barrier keeps toxins from damaging the integrity of the genetic code used for reproduction. Also, when the primary spermatocyte undergoes meiosis, to form the spermatozoa, it becomes genetically different from the body’s normal cells, which could cause it to be attacked by the immune system. The blood-testis-barrier protects it from the immune system. It also prevents certain proteins specific for the function of the spermatozoa from entering the bloodstream, which might also set off an immune response.
Both the brain and the testes may act as “sanctuary sites” for certain types of cancer since many types of chemotherapy drugs cannot pass through the barrier. Occasionally, radiation therapy may be necessary to sterilize deposits of cancer cells “hiding out” in these organs.
Credits: Gary Larson 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KIDS AND PORNOGRAPHY - HOW TO STOP THEM Do you know what your teenager/younger one is doing on that data enabled phone or iPad??* Don't be caught unaware. Pornography is available with just one click. How about social media? Do you have any control over how much time they spend on it when they should be studying or sleeping? I am sure you worry about these things even though you realize that they need these devices as a means of communication and even learning. But as good parents, we must protect the minds of our teenagers and children. I thought it was a joke when my pastor's wife told me that there is a mobile application that I can download, just like I downloaded WhatsApp.  I did not believe it could actually protect my son until I tried it out myself. I have visited www.mindguard.com.ng and I have downloaded the parent app on my phone and the digital coach on my child's phone so that I can protect him from the dangers associated with the internet without...
The struggle for freedom Dear friends, there's a very important piece of history I'll like to share with you which concerns you. On December 1, 1955, a middle-aged "negro woman" in America, Mrs. Rosa Parks, refused to stand up for a young white man who just entered the segregated bus she was ridding in. If she did, she would have had to stand all through the journey. At that time, the bus is segregated in most parts of America: white people sit in front rows and black people sit from the back. Blacks would normally pay fare to the driver in the front, then step out of the bus and go through the back door to find a place in an already tight area at the back. If the allocated spaces for blacks are filled, all other blacks joining the bus would have to stand even when the more than half of the bus spaces reserved for whites are empty! Such was the injustice and humiliation that black Americans faced then. For refusing to stand up for the young white man, M...
BLOOD PRESSURE CHART BY AGE... Check out the blood pressure numbers for your age. The best blood pressure is 120 over 80, or lower. If your Blood Pressure is higher than 140 over 90, this means you have high blood pressure. Tips for avoiding high blood pressure 1. Reduce excessive intake of salt. 2. lose excess weight 3. Exercise daily 4. Control your anger 5. Take maintenance medicine as given by your doctor.